Crafty Blogs

Tuesday 16 October 2012

The new nigiri

So last week I decided to add a couple of smaller nigiri bags to the collection. I'd been out on a raid locally the week before and picked up several purses, wallets and handbags that I knew were desperate to become sushi rolls. I've also been asked recently why I haven't been making any vegetarian sushi roll bags, an excellent question given that I'm a vegetarian! I took this as a challenge and decided that vegetarian nigiri was the way to go!

The first was a little brown cosmetics bag that I founds in a local charity shop. It has clearly never been used and was ripe for re purposing! A day spent carefully cutting out petal shapes later and voila, asparagus nigiri.



Whoever this reaches I hope it inspires someone to eat their greens! More here.

Next the wallet, and I decided something very simple was needed. A batch of brightly coloured felt arrived for me in the morning and that was all the inspiration I needed - the beautiful yellow seemed perfect for sweet omelet.







As you can see the finish is very simple, but I wanted to keep the functionality of the wallet intact. It's still easy to open and close when you need to grab your change or cards in a hurry! More on the wallet here.

So for now I think the muse of nigiri is sated. I'm currently working on a larger more traditional sushi roll handbag which should be finished soon. Once that's complete I have lots more felt for inspiration and some interesting materials on the way, including some small red pom poms that I just know will be perfect as roe. You read it here first!

Thanks for reading, love and luck

LL xx

Edit: I've just found out that the reason I've had above average traffic on the listing for my asparagus nigiri clutch is that it was featured on Trendhunter in an article called 'The Plush Asparagus Nigiri Sushi Clutch Purse Looks Good Enough to Eat'. Thanks so much to Trendhunter, always lovely to find out that people are excited by my pieces!


Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment